Online on Saturday 14th October, 2023 10am – 4pm UK time
An exclusive one-day writing course for those who wish to improve their skills and take their novel or memoir manuscript to the next level – with Writing Coach Founder Jacqui Lofthouse.
- Are you a writer of fiction or memoir, ready to kick-start your writing career and take your writing really seriously?
- Do you love writing but feel stuck with your manuscript, uncertain how to get the reader deeply engaged?
- Do you need help with your opening chapters, making your work come alive, and keeping the reader turning the page?
- Are you stuck in the middle, wondering how you’ll ever get to the end?
This course is for all fiction or memoir writers who want to really improve their work and complete a finished manuscript. If you have dabbled in writing fiction or memoir but now want to make strides with your writing or if you’re an experienced writer looking to polish a second draft of the work, this course will make a real difference to your output and your craft. You will learn what literary agents and publishers are looking for, but equally importantly how you can achieve this, whilst maintaining your authentic voice.
One special aspect of this course is the opportunity to have one of our experienced consultants review up to 50 pages of your work and provide a full written report and talk with you individually to discuss your work and make editorial suggestions. This can be particularly useful if you are preparing to submit to literary agents and publishers.
The Developing Your Novel or Memoir course covers:
- Overcoming blocks to the writing process
- The ingredients of a winning first chapter
- How to ensure that your work has focus and direction
- Making every chapter count – how to avoid the ‘saggy middle’
- Character development and ‘shifts’
- Maintaining pace and tension in the novel
- The myth of the perfect plot
- Realism – how to make the reader believe in your world
- Common mistakes to avoid and how to improve early drafts
- The pros and cons of self-publishing
- How to make your work appealing to literary agents and publishers
- Staying emotionally connected to your novel
Your tutor Jacqui Lofthouse is Founder of The Writing Coach and has had four novels published (including by Penguin and Bloomsbury) and twenty years of experience teaching and coaching writers.
At the end of the day, you will have:
- A clear idea of how to progress your writing and take it to the next level
- New ways of thinking about your fiction and staying connected to the process
- A notebook full of ideas and completed practical writing exercises
- Awareness of exact steps to take to improve your writing
- All essential course notes with key points covered during the day
- A knowledge of what the publishing industry is looking for
- A bunch of new writing colleagues and friends
- A new, freshly inspired outlook on your writing
Developing Your Novel or Memoir Course: £85
Developing Your Novel Course with Feedback on 50 pages of your work: £425
If you choose the feedback option, you will work with one of Jacqui’s team at The Writing Coach.
This course is run by Writing Coach founder Jacqui Lofthouse. She has an MA in Creative Writing from the University of East Anglia, having studied under Malcolm Bradbury and Rose Tremain. Jacqui is the author of four novels, The Temple of Hymen, Bluethroat Morning, Een Stille Verdwijning and The Modigliani Girl. Her novels have sold over 100,000 copies in the UK, the USA and Europe. She has taught creative writing in a broad variety of settings including at Richmond Adult College, the Cheltenham Festival and City University, London. She is currently editing her Young Adult novel. She is an established and experienced coach and mentor, having helped many authors to publication and frequently mentors writers at all levels, from beginners to MA Creative Writing graduates and published authors.
USE Testimonials block here
I will tag some testimonials for courses in the testimonials folder
Date: Saturday 14th October 2023
Time: 10am – 4pm UK time